27 October 2010

Recap

Wow.  So much has happened, and it’s seems hard to believe that eight weeks have already passed.  In juxtaposition, thinking that only eight weeks of this semester are done goes against how long it feels.  In retrospect, here is a summation of these weeks. 

Concerning Academics:  I’m taking quite a few good classes this semester, e.g. Greek, Systematic Theology, Poetical Books, Missions History, etc.  Generally, I’m doing well in my classes, and my grades were good through Mid Terms.  I haven’t received a few of my tests back yet, and a couple of them are a toss-up in my mind what the outcome could be.

Concerning Work:  I’ve been working for the IT department at school with an upperclassman named Dan.  We have a great time in our little office planning the future of technology at school.  Interesting event: Last Saturday we were installing all our electronics in a rack-mounted enclosure to clean up out office space.  Upon reconnecting everything, our network was unable to access the internet.  Thankfully it was Saturday, so we didn’t mess up the faculty or teachers.  The students, however were ‘eager’ for us to get things working again.  I found it interesting that not many take notice of the IT guys until things are broken, and they can’t get on the internet.

Concerning Sports:  During the regular season I fearlessly coached our league to a 1-4-1 season.  Regardless, we made it to the Championship in the Third Place Game.  (Our school has four leagues.)  On the plus side, our third place game was probably our best game of the season, and we won after an eight-run comeback in the 6th inning.  (We only play to seven innings.)  After a tie at the end of the seventh, we scored in the extra inning winning the game.  We were amped.  I was glad to end the season in an exciting way like that.

Concerning Spirituality:  The Lord is really working on me this semester.  I’m having to trust Him in unbelievable new ways.  I read Psalm 27 last night; verse 14 says,  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.  Waiting on the Lord and looking to Him for strength have been sort of the themes of my spiritual walk lately.  I converged on one particular passage in an interesting way recently.  In Major Prophets class we were in Jeremiah; coming up was the passage where Jeremiah goes to the potter’s house and receives a word of the Lord concerning His being the potter and in control.  Right around that time, a preacher spoke in Chapel on God’s Divine control from the passage about the potter.  Also in my personal devotions, I was reading through that portion of scripture about the potter.  The triplicity of my encounter with this passage has really kept alive in my mind and heart God’s care and control in my circumstances.  Here is one thing the preacher said that really stuck out to me: Once the potter starts to throw the clay His attention is never diverted, and His hands never leave the clay.  Pressure on the clay is the touch of the Potter (Pater) forming the clay the way He wants it.  Before any of that, though, the clay must be in the center of the potter’s wheel (Will).

Thank you so much for all your prayers and support.  Thank you also WBC College and Career for the thoughtful and timely care (share) package.

John

No comments: