Ever since Sara's birthday the wheels in my mind have been turning, trying to come up with a plan on how I could get to the mall and try and find something for Sara for a late birthday present. Yesterday I had a chance to go there and to meet with Luke at the same time. So, after my school was done I and I had talked to Luke I hopped on my bike and headed out. It was the first time in a while that I had ridden anywhere except the stables and I was really glad to be riding again. When I started riding I was cold and the wind went straight through my hoodie, but by the time I was climbing the slight grade I was warmed up and I didn't even notice the cold. When I got to the mall I locked my bike up and went into Starbucks to wait for Luke. I didn't want to get anything to drink until after I had finished what I had come for so I got and ice water. When Luke showed up we spent a little time putting quarters into one of those collection booklet things. When that was finished I headed out roaming the mall looking to complete my mission. I looked around at a few places but nothing really stood out to me. Then I decided I would just go back to American Eagle and buy Sara a gift card and she could get what ever she wanted. With that completed we made our course for the Starbucks to just chill for awhile. I ordered a Caffe Mocha with half the mocha syrup. (Next time I need to order it extra hot.) When we had finished our drinks we had to go to the bathroom and Luke's dad was going to pick him up. Upon completing my business, I was waiting for Luke next to the sinks. While I was waiting I had an interesting encounter with a strange little man. I couldn't understand him and he kept laughing about who knows what. When I asked him what he was laughing about he mumbled something and the only word I made out was "happy." Finally he was finished drying his hands and he left. So did we. Luke was picked up right then and I was left to ride my bike home. When I went outside I found that it was raining, but seeing as there was nothing else I could do I unlocked my bike and started for home.
When I first started into the cold sheeting rain I thought it was going to be a long miserable ride home. But it wasn't long until I just let go of wanting to stay dry and after that I had the most exhilarating, exciting, and blood pumping ride I've ever had in the rain. I didn't care if I got wet and dirty any more, I was riding through puddles and along the gritty bike lane sand dirt were flung up onto my face and clothes. The wind blew needles of ice through my hoodie. In one particular stretch of the rode gritty sandy water was flung into my eyes and I couldn't see. When I passed the new Starbucks on Nimbus Ave. I had to scream shout, scream shout, scream shout, so I just let it all out. People must have thought it was pretty weird seeing a guy ride by on a bike drenched and dirty screaming with pure excitement. When I got home I looked in the mirror, a dirty, speckled, grimy, smiling face beamed back at me. Showering never could feel better than that.
John
No comments:
Post a Comment