17 December 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

As suggested by the title my morning was one unfortunate event after another.  In hindsight it wasn't all bad, actually things fit together pretty well for being terrible.  Today was the day of our Christmas party and last night we finally got everything together and ready.  Kevin and I had our gifts bought and wrapped and at the last minute we picked up a bag of tortilla chips to take for our provisional contribution.  This morning, after a breakfast of extra salty eggs (oops!), Kevin and I agreed that I would carry the bag of chips on the bus on our way to school.  (I'm not sure how that worked out...)  In a few minutes we were out the door and on our way to the bus stop.  As we were waiting for the bus I was letting my mind wander as I thought about what I might write about in an upcoming article that Mr. Dean has asked that we participate in writing.  Suddenly I looked the other way and was surprised to see our bus had pulled up a little ways up the street and was already having people get on.  I notified Kevin with a slap on his arm and we moved out.  We made it onto the bus just in time and were on our way to the school.  Right before we were about to get to our stop Kevin says "John, you forgot the chips."  At first I thought "Ha ha."  It wasn't a joke.  Neither of us has grabbed them.  Whatever I had been doing coming out our door had distracted me and I forgot.  My next reaction was the cast about for any excuses; nothing came.  I knew it was my fault and there was no explanation.  We agreed that I would go back and get them.  We got off the bus and started our separate ways, Kevin to class and me back to our apartment.  A minute or two down the road I remembered that I couldn't find my key that morning and that I was going to need to borrow Kevin's.  I hurried back toward school.  Thankfully Kevin had realized it too and he met me outside.  I was back on my way home, but I was running late.  When I got to the driveway of the school I flagged down a taxi and hopped in.  Taking a taxi would be a lot faster than waiting to catch a bus.  The driver took my home but when I asked him how much it would cost he told me a price that was 80 tugrugs more than I had.  He said was okay and I ran to our apartment.  The key worked like a charm (duh), I grabbed the chips and was back out the door.  That morning I had my just put my hands in my pockets so I wasn't wearing gloves at the time.  I needed one hand out of my pockets to carry the chips and the temperature was 20 below.  I felt like I was going to get frostbite.  I had to keep switching hands to keep one from hurting too bad.  I couldn't stop to put gloves on because I was in a hurry.  I'm glad I didn't because I got the bus stop at exactly the same time that the bus I wanted to take did.  15 minutes later I was back at school walking in to class.  Obviously I was a little late but class was really light anyway because of the party today.  The chips were a hit.  Our teacher tried some and said she really liked them.  A couple of Korean students had some and said that they were the best food there.

John

1 comment:

Nareda said...

"...the key worked like a charm..." haha
At least after all that trouble, people liked the chips! So it turned out well :)