06 October 2008

Flood Stage

We are still experiencing internet difficulty and it makes timing blogging hard.  When I think of it I can't get on the internet and when I have the internet I'm not thinking of blogging.  The engineer came today and couldn't get it figured out.  I'm hooked up right now to the regular (fast) internet but it's not cooperating with the router so only one person can be on at a time.  We've started another week of school and now we're learning about genitive cases.  I've also been reading books that Mr. Dean has been recommending and I've already been through two besides my own novels that I brought.  Now I'm reading a book called Fearfully and Wonderfully Made.  Written by a doctor who specializes in leprosy care.  It's very interesting and the author uses many fascinating illustrations from his past experiences.  We are really enjoying having the Jaquiths here.  I'm glad to hear preaching in English; I had no idea how good it was going to be hearing pastor's preaching again.  I guess we never really know what we have until we have to do without.  We had a really great time at prayer today.  There were 7 men present, the most we've had since I've been here.

Walking to school and home has revealed some interesting personal encounters over the weeks.  So far I've been engaged in conversation by two drunks.  More interestingly a group of three ruffians tried to pick my pocket.  We passed them at the bus stop and they began to follow us.  As we reached a narrow stretch of sidewalk two came up in front of us and there was one behind.  The two in front began to make a little tussle then one pushed the other and he bumped right into me.  At the same time the one behind bumped into me as well.  I was sandwiched between the two.  I shrugged them to the side and they ran off.  My camera was in my pocket with the lanyard hanging out but I had my hand on it so it was safe.  Nothing was taken (as far as I know) so everything is okay.

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Off the subject but I thought I'd mention it. My trip to Brazil is a pretty sure fire thing right now. I've been learning the language the past two weeks, with many more weeks to follow. I have the financial side of it figured out and right now in the process of raising the money. I would appreciate it if you would keep this in your prayers.