20 October 2008

Lost

That's the word of day here in Mongolia.  Another good word is "disorganization."  Last week we had a break from school and all classes were off except one.  The school decided that that was the prime time to move their location.  So we'd been hearing about the move two weeks before the break but we were never told exactly where they were moving.  I think the most information we were given was that it was moving somewhere near MIU (Mongolian International University).  Well let me tell you, there are a lot of buildings near MIU.  So last night we asked Mr. Dean if could call someone about the new location, he has connections with people from there.  He never did get a chance to call so we fell back on plan B: Wing it.  A.K.A. we were flying by the seat of our collective pants.  Mr. Dean had to take his car into Gustavo today for work that he's been trying to get done for months now so he couldn't give us a ride unless we wanted to arrive at school 45 minutes early.  We didn't, so he arranged for Buren to drop us off.  This morning we recieved a call from Mr. Dean saying to meet Buren in front of church.  We got there and in less than a minute Buren showed up and we were on the way.  As we started away from the curb Buren asked us a question in Mongolia.  I only understood a few words but I thought he was asking us where to go.  "What?"  I thought to myself.  "Didn't Mr. Dean tell him that we needed to go to MIU?"  I told him MIU and he got the picture.  I think Mr. Dean had told him but maybe he was just asking for confirmation.  A few minutes later Buren dropped us off at MIU.  After thanking him profusely Kevin and I stood there thinking "What now?"  We began to wander in an arbitrarily chosen direction looking for any sign of where the new school is.  Finally I called our old teacher, Chimgee.  Through her broken English I gathered that it was somewhere behind the large round Catholic building.  So we were off again with a direction in mind.  In no time we had the Catholic building in sight and were headed that way.  When we finally got to front of the building we recognized some of our fellow students.  Unfortunately they recognized us too.  "KEVIN, JOHN!"  They called out to us.  In the words of Kevin: "Oh buggar."  Finally we thought we found it.  We all went inside but it seemed like it was vacant there was no one around.  We went upstairs, but still no one.  I figured that couldn't the place or there was no one there anyway so we went outside.  We began to look around the building and behold, there sat the school's bus.  Our Korean "friend" was little ways ahead of us but turned back saying there was nothing back there.  I didn't believe him and went to check for myself.  Just a few meters ahead in the side of the building there was a door and inside were the teachers.  At last we had found it.  As a note, there were no signs anywhere around the entrance or anywhere leading to the new entrance.  That's organization for you; that is Mongolia.

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you got some exercise in.

The play I'm in(The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) I play Mr. Beaver, they've asked me to grow a beard for the play. So for the last two weeks I haven't shaved nor will I shave for the next five weeks to come. Though I do say so myself, I think it looks pretty cool. I'll send you a picture when it's full.